Monday, November 1, 2010

K!te Runner Part 1

     So far I have enjoyed this story. it is very intense and like no other book I have ever read. The thing about this story that surprised me the most was that it's fiction! But besides that, while i was reading a few questions popped up in my head. Earlier in this book in chapter four, Amir says,
"The curious thing was, I never thought of Hassan and me as friends either. Not in the usual sense, anyhow." (pg.25)
     When I first read this, I thought how could Amir not consider Hassan to be his friend? And what was the usual sense? But as I read on, and Amir explained in a sort of harsh tone how they were different ethnicities and different religions and through that they were distinct. Almost like someone had told him this and he had to live by it. But then he goes back and rebuts against himself how they grew up together, spent every waking time together, and nobody could change that.

     The second question I have is why didn't Amir help Hassan in the alley? How could he just sit there and watch as it all happened before his eyes. How could he live with knowing he didn't do anything to help him? If that was me, I don't care how scared i was, somehow I would've worked up the courage to do something. That was a very intense scene and felt very realistic. I guess the differences between Amir and Hassan overruled their friendship and all the times Hassan stood up for Amir. Honestly, after that scene, Amir lost my respect. Although, he is a make believe character.

No comments:

Post a Comment